- Real Estate Loans
- Vehicle Loans
- Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP)
- Mechanical Breakdown Protection (MBP)
- Motorcycle and RV Loans
- Personal Loans
- Platinum Mastercard
- Private Student Loans
- Debt Protection
- Other Documents
- Autoland (Auto Buying Service)
Frequently Asked Questions - Vehicle Loans
- What rates can I expect on a new or used vehicle loan?
- What terms are available?
- What are the minimum qualifications for a loan approval?
- Will CEFCU check my credit?
- How much can I borrow?
- How long does it take to get a loan decision?
- What documents will I need to provide?
- How do I know if I am approved or not?
- How long does it take to fund the loan?
- How can I repay my loan at CEFCU?
- How are the interest charges calculated?
- Is there a prepayment penalty?
- Can I protect my family and myself if I were to become unemployed, ill or pass away?
- Can CEFCU help me find the perfect car?
- How do I know how much I should pay for the car?
- How do I know if I can save money by refinancing my car?
- What do I have to do to refinance?
What rates can I expect on a new or used vehicle loan?
CEFCU offers value alongside competitive rates on new and used vehicles.
Will CEFCU check my credit?
Yes. Your loan officer will order your credit report when the application is submitted if we have not obtained one within the past 90 days. If you are applying with a co-borrower, a credit report will also be ordered on that individual.
How much can I borrow?
You may borrow up to the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), plus tax, title, and warranty. On used cars, we will loan up to 100% of the retail value, plus tax, title, and warranty. On vehicles older than five years, we may loan up to 80% of the retail value.
How long does it take to get a loan decision?
We take pride in the service we provide and work hard to give you an answer to your loan request within 24-48 hours after all pertinent information is provided. If you have any questions, you may contact a loan officer.
What documents will I need to provide?
Every loan circumstance varies. Your loan officer will give you detailed information about what additional information you may need to provide to ensure that your loan funds in a timely manner.
View a complete list of the standard forms and documents that we will request to begin the loan process.
How do I know if I am approved or not?
Once you submit your loan request, your loan will reflect a pending status. A loan officer will contact you within 24-48 business hours of receipt of the application.
- You can make your payments in person at any of our locations.
- You may authorize an automatic transfer from your CEFCU share savings account to your loan.
- An ACH authorization allows you to electronically transfer money to your loan account at CEFCU from another financial institution.
- Caltech and JPL employees may use payroll deduction. Your employer forwards the authorized funds to CEFCU directly, and the deducted amount will show on your pay stub.
- Use eBranch to set up scheduled recurring payments to your loans from your CEFCU accounts.
- We offer coupon books for your loan payments. They may be used to mail your loan payments.
How are the interest charges calculated?
All loans with CEFCU are simple interest loans. This means that the interest accrues and is calculated on the unpaid principal balance from the date of the last payment.
Can I protect my family and myself if I were to become unemployed, ill or pass away?
If a protected life event happens to you (and you're a protected borrower or co-borrower on the loan), MEMBER'S CHOICE™ Borrower Security, a voluntary loan-payment protection product, may cancel or waive your loan payments or loan balance.
To learn more about protecting your loan, visit our MEMBER'S CHOICE™ Borrower Security page or contact your Loan Officer.
Your purchase of MEMBER'S CHOICE™ Borrower Security is optional and will not affect your application for credit or the terms of any credit agreement required to obtain a loan.
Can CEFCU help me find the perfect car?
Yes, we have partnered with Autoland, the premier car buying service. Our Autoland consultant is available to help make your car buying experience hassle-free while saving your both time and money.
How do I know how much I should pay for the car?
Kelley Blue Book is available online with valuable information on car values for new and used vehicles.
How do I know if I can save money by refinancing my car?
Our loan officers can do a comparison for you. All we need is the payoff amount of your current car loan and your current interest rate. We can calculate payments and interest to determine if we can save you money or if you are better off to stay with your current lender.
What do I have to do to refinance?
Simply apply and provide the payoff amount and your current lenders information. We will process your application. At the loan closing, you will be asked to sign all the appropriate paperwork and a payoff check will be mailed to the financial institution where your car was financed. It's as simple as that!
Of course, every loan request varies. We're here to help. Contact a Loan Officer at (800) 592-3328, extension 402, if you have additional questions or need help getting started with the purchase or refinance of your next vehicle.
All loans subject to credit approval. Rates and terms may change without notice.